This is healthy, deceptively easy to make and is a perfect party food. It’s bright and colorful and is so easy to walk by and pickup that I noticed it was something that lots of people snacked on while we waited for the dinner bell to ring.
I changed up the original recipe a bit and that is reflected below. I don’t have a super accurate calorie count yet because I forgot to weight the finished hummus when I assembled everything, but I have put in a good guess below. Hummus is pretty healthy and veggies are negligible when you look at calories.
- 1 Large Beet
- 1 15oz Can Garbanzo Beans
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1½ Lemons
- 2 T Tahini
- Salt to Taste (use more than you think you need or it's bland)
- ¼ c Olive Oil
- Roast your beet the night before. Peel the beet, drizzle a little olive oil on it and wrap it in aluminum foil. Pop it in the oven at 325° for 60 minutes or until you can insert a knife in and remove it without resistance. Put the foil wrapped beat in the fridge overnight.
- Cut up the beet into chunks and toss it in a food processor. Grind it to a chunky consistency.
- Drain the can of garbanzo beans and add those to the food processor.
- Mince the garlic and throw that in the food processor.
- Zest one lemon and add the zest and lemon juice to the food processor.
- Zest half the other lemon and set the zest aside and add the juice to the food processor.
- Add the tahini and a generous pinch of salt.
- Blend everything (except the olive oil) together until creamy.
- Add the olive oil in a slow steady stream while the food processor runs.
- Taste, add more salt, maybe add the rest of the second lemon until it tastes like something you want to eat and not sad beet paste.
- If serving in a communal bowl add the reserved lemon zest as garnish.
- If serving in small shot glasses see instructions below.
Serving to a big group
- Line up all of the disposal plastic shot glasses on a fancy tray.
- Put the hummus in a gallon-size ziplock bag and snip off a small hole in the corner. Pipe the hummus into each cup.
- Cover the cups with cling wrap and put back in the fridge.
- Matchstick-slice carrots (4), red peppers (2), yellow peppers (2), orange peppers (2), cucumbers (2), celery (1 bunch). Keep the veggies separate after you cut them.
- Get the hummus back out of the fridge and put one of each veggie in the cup. Check out the instagram video ›
- Cover again with cling wrap and put back in the fridge until show time.