During the colder months we’ve been making this amazing twist on chicken noodle soup. We use a purple sweet potato and purple cabbage, so it’s really a purple soup as well—which is odd but good.
Just like the Healthier Ramen, this recipe swaps out the carbs and calories of traditional noodles for a vegetable alternate.
Egg Noodles vs Cabbage “Noodles”
Comparing 8oz servings.
Alright, let’s get down to the recipe.
- 3 Chicken Thighs (about 3 cups)
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- ⅓ Yellow Onion
- 1 Shallot
- 1" Piece of Ginger
- ½ Jalapeño (seeds removed)
- 4 Carrots
- 1 Purple Sweet Potato
- 1 Stalk Lemongrass
- 6 c Chicken Broth (low sodium)
- 1 t Celery Salt or Celery Seed
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ Head Cabbage
- 2 t Fish Sauce
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 1 T Butter
- Cilantro and Green Onion Garnish
- Rinse, trim and pat dry chicken. Salt and pepper one side.
- Cut cabbage into thick ribbons (think large noodle size).
- Mince garlic, ginger and jalapeño.
Thinly slice shallot.
You can set the garlic, ginger, jalapeño and shallot aside in the same bowl.
- Slice the carrots and sweet potato into similar sized pieces and set aside in the same bowl.
- Remove the outer part of the lemongrass, you want to get into the tender middle. Once you have that, lightly smash it with the side of a knife to release the fragrance. Tie the lemongrass together with bakers twine.
- Heat a medium sized heavy bottom sauce pan (I use a french oven) over medium heat.
Add 1 T butter and add the chicken, salt/pepper side down.
Salt and pepper the other side.
Brown the chicken until almost cooked through.
Remove from the pan and set aside. While the veggies are cooking you’ll cube the chicken.
- Add the olive oil to the pan, scrape up any chicken pieces and then add the garlic, ginger, jalapeño and shallot to the pan. Add the celery seed and lightly brown everything.
- Add the carrots and sweet potato and lightly brown (this is a good time to cube the chicken).
- Add the chicken back to the pot and stir in.
- Add the cabbage and stir together.
- Add the chicken broth, fish sauce and lemongrass.
- Bring to a boil, then back down to a slow simmer. Cook until he carrot an sweet potato are soft (20–30 minutes).